This is a simple guide to study passages that follow along with the sermon for personal worship. The purpose is to get to know God more by spending daily time with Him.
M: Exodus 18:1-6
T: Exodus 18:7-12
W: Exodus 18:13-16
T: Exodus 18:17-23
F: Exodus 18:24-27
S: Romans 12:3-8
October 30 - November 4
M: Exodus 19:1-6
T: Exodus 19:7-9
W: Exodus 19:10-15
T: Exodus 19:16-20
F: Exodus 19:21-25
S: 1 Peter 2:9-10
M: 1 Thessalonians 2:1-4
T: 1 Thessalonians 2:5-8
W: 1 Thessalonians 2:9-12
T: 1 Thessalonians 2:13-16
F: Ephesians 2:1-3
S: Ephesians 2:4-10
1. What is this passage teaching (first to the original audience then to me)?
2. How does this ultimately point to the person and work of Jesus Christ?
3. How does this apply to me (in my particular situation)?
1 Thessalonians 2:1-12 (from sermon on Nov. 5th)
- What does it mean to be entrusted with the Gospel? Who is this for? Pastors only or all of us? If all of us, in what ways?
- What does Paul say about his ministry before going to Thessalonica? What does this say to us about ministry in general? How does this confront our culture?
- What were some of Paul’s motives in ministry? What do these motives say to us?
- What were some of the motives that Paul avoided? Why?
- What should characterize Pastoral ministry? Why?
- What should our motives in talking with people about Christ look like? What should we guard against? Why?
Exodus 19:1-6 (from message on Oct. 29th)
- Discuss what it means to have your identity rooted in God’s grace? Why is this important?
- What are some things that you look to for your identity?
- Before giving the law to the Israelites, God tells them to “remember”. Why is remembering important for them and for us?
- How do you view God’s law? Do you lean toward grace or law in your daily life?
- What is the purpose of God’s law? Why did he give it to Moses and the Israelites?
- Do you view God’s law as a blessing and the key to enjoying life?
- What does it mean to be a treasured possession? Kingdom of priests? A holy nation?
- How can you live in a way that reflects God to your neighbors, family, and coworkers?
Break up into groups of 2-3 and pray (below are some optional questions for prayer requests):
- Is there a life circumstance you need prayer for?
- Is there a ministry need you need prayer for?
- Is there a heart issue you need prayer for?